Apr 30, 2018

Our Fun Weekend Away

Friday morning we hit the road for a mini vacation/weekend away. There is a geocaching event that goes on at Mackinac Island which is 5 and a half hours north of us. We normally are traveling and have been gone this time of year and miss the event. This year we didn't have plans so we said it was the perfect excuse to head up attend the event and spend the night on the island for our first time. When we go up this way we have always stayed on the main land and only went out to visit the island. So Friday night we stayed where we normally do then Saturday morning we took the ferry out to the island...
We had to really bundle up. It was COLD. If you look close there is ICE on Jeremiah's window. When the water would splash up on the window it would instantly freeze.
I'll use this picture to explain geocaching hopefully if you haven't heard of it. My smartphone has the app for geocaching on it. You pull up a map and pick the closest geocache and off you go. The name of this one was For the Birds. I gave my phone to Jeremiah and hoped he would be able to enjoy the find. Most the time they aren't very handicapped accessible. He was counting down the feet and pointing the direction the compass showed. When I spotted it I waited back and told Jeremiah have a look around. It was perfect for him. If you look close you can see the hole of the birdhouse is plugged. So that helps you tell right away it's not an official birdhouse. They put a tube with a screw lid in the hole. When you removed the lid there is a rolled up paper inside. You take the paper out and sign your team name. Ours is Treasure Hunting Family. Then you log the find and get a point for the find by your name. We ended up with only 7 this weekend because of how cold it was and we wanted to hang out with friends instead of freezing too bad haha.
This is Fred and me with our fancy hotel for the night. It's called the Grand Hotel. If you visit here in the season you have to pay $10 per person to even walk into the hotel. The rooms we heard are like $350 per person for the smallest room. There is also a very strict dress code after 6pm. So needless to say we have seen it from the outside but never visited it. They open this weekend for free to tour and only $190 for the night. So since it was our first time to stay on the island we decided to try it out. Look at our room...
There are 393 rooms in this hotel and each room is decorated different. We got to see several of the other rooms since it wasn't really open they just prop open all the doors so you can glance in. Wow! The room we stayed in was very basic compared to the others. The staff all was wearing tuxedos. Very fancy. Not somewhere we would stay again but something we can now say we did once at least.

We had a great time visiting with several friends who showed up for the event too. We had a very nice relaxing weekend and made it home safely yesterday about 5pm. It was a very nice weekend trip.

Now to start the new week. My Monday update won't be posted other than this one. I had NO stitching time at all last week. It was a very stressful week and I just didn't have the energy when I did sit down. Hopefully this week is better. Today has been run run run though of course. We are hopefully getting our correct cabin delivered tomorrow. So please send good thoughts that it's right. Plus it's my mom's birthday tomorrow. So we are going to Shipshewana Flea Market that opens for the season tomorrow. Maybe after that I will actually have a few days of nothing. We'll see. Hope you have a great week. Thanks for stopping by. I will be posting my WIPocalypse update here soon.

8 comments:

Cathy said...

Geocaching is a lot of fun and you get to see things you normally wouldn't. We used to do it years ago so I'll have to check out the app. The Grand Hotel looks interesting. Sending good thoughts about the cabin.

Rachel said...

Very nice, and what a treat for the night. My fingers are crossed for a more positive week ahead. :)

Justine said...

What an interesting post! We tried the Geocache app but couldn't find our nearest one and I kind of lost interest...must try it again soon! At the moment we are into pebble art, decorating and hiding pebbles at local sites for others to find. There is quite an active Facebook group for it in our area.
I hope your cabin arrives safely and you have a much better week this week.

Faith... said...

Sounds like a fun weekend. Glad you had a great time away.

Julie said...

Belated birthday wishes to your mom, I hope she enjoyed a lovely day.
I hope the cabin arrived safely.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I tried to persuade my son's PE teacher to let them do geocaching instead of sport - but he just said "health & safety"!
Love that posh hotel, how gorgeous is that? But $10 just to go inside - they're having a laugh!

Stitching Noni said...

Oh my goodness... that hotel sounds fantastic! I can imagine what it must be like during the season.. Amazing! Can't believe though that they charge you to go inside for a look normally.... bit OTT!! :o)
Belated birthday wishes to your Mum :o)
Geocaching sounds like so much fun - I might have to see if anyone does it here... although it would take away from my stitching time!! ;o)

Astrids dragon said...

Nathan did geocaching during Scout camp, it was fun. I'm glad Jeremiah had fun and didn't freeze too much!
Wow, that hotel looks gorgeous, what a treat to be able to say you've stayed there.
I hope your Mom had a wonderful birthday!